• If You Are Referred to an Interventional Cardiologist


    If your cardiologist recommends that you undergo an angiogram to gather precise information about blockages in your arteries, then you will be seen by a general or interventional cardiologist.

    An interventional cardiologist is a cardiologist with one to two years of additional education and training in diagnosing and treating cardiovascular disease as well as congenital (present at birth) and structural heart conditions through catheter-based procedures, such as angioplasty and stenting.

    Interventional cardiologists rank among the world's foremost authorities on cardiovascular disease and its treatment. Many interventional cardiologists become Members or Fellows of the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (SCAI). Fellows of SCAI list the credential abbreviation FSCAI after their names. If your interventional cardiologist is a Fellow of SCAI, this is a mark of excellence in the field. Fellows are required to be Board Certified in interventional cardiology or to be out of training for five years and have performed at least 1,000 procedures (fewer for pediatric interventional cardiologists). What this translates into is an assurance that your interventional cardiologist is experienced, is committed to continuing education, and has undergone rigorous evaluation from distinguished peers in the interventional cardiology field. A Master Interventionalist of the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions earns the designation of MSCAI after being nominated by other physicians for this speical honor.